Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reading Corner - Save Me

I don't think it's any big secret that the last 11 months and more have been a struggle.  I struggle with a chronic illness and the multiple side effects that go along with being heavily medicated to make sure your immune system stops beating you up.  It's so interesting to me - because it's so easy to be beat up by the person that's supposed to be in your corner - you.  And...it's possible in so many different ways - physically and emotionally.  At least that's how I felt 98% of the time - until I started to read an author named Brene' Brown.  I chose the book mainly due to Ali Edwards endorsement.

Original Source

I know it sounds corny to the highest degree - but this book gave me the magic I needed in that moment.  Throughout the book, I kept on latching to the word shame.  It's not a big part of the book.  It's one of Dr. Brown's research focuses - shame and guilt.  I feel like I possess these emotions in spades - which led me to her first book.

Original Source

To say this book rocked my world is not nearly descriptive enough.  This book is the moment when the fog started to clear.  I actually started recognizing my shame triggers and speaking up for myself.  I started to remind myself that it is okay - no one and nothing is perfect.  I started to get back some of my own power.  And even now - when I'm scared or anxious or someone has said that thing that brings me to my knees - I know everything will be okay even if it's in a very tiny part of my being.  I know it seems silly.  I don't want anyone to think two books turned my life around totally.  I had a lot of help from multiple sources - but I know these books were part of my journey.  They still are part of the journey.  To be perfectly honest, there are still days were I forget and would love nothing more than to sit in my pajamas on my couch and watch a NCIS marathon with a bucket of sweets right next to me - some days I still do that.  And that's okay too.  "Life is a journey not a destination."  If you struggle at all with shame, guilt, imperfection - run to your nearest book store or computer to find these books.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday.  Until then...

BTW: For those of you who are wondering when the heck I'm going to post something craft related - no worries.  I will be hitting the crafts hard once the trainings and meetings stop and I have a few extra days before summer break is over and all I'll hear are the words GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info