Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Process of A Page - CHA Madness Day #4

As part of my weekly assignment for The Mother LOAD - I was given the task to document the process of a page and take lots of notes.  I decided to do it on Evernote with voice recordings which seemed like a great idea at the time for these arthritic hands of mine - but it turned out not to be too practical.  So - I'm sharing the little pieces of information from that assignment.  Please bear with me - the pictures are from my iPhone 4 and to be quite frank - they absolutely suck.  I'm still trying to get a handle on taking the beautiful pictures I've seen other people take with their iPhones.  What the frick is wrong with me?  Hopefully you'll get the gist.  This is definitely a picture heavy post - just to be warned.

1.  I start with the story.  For this layout, I chose to document a particularly difficult time in my life.  I had this photo of myself at the age of maybe three or four and had printed it on patterned paper.  I've had it for over a year and finally had a place to put it.  Happiness was mine.



2.  I pick the products.  These papers are from Simple Stories, Authentique & October Afternoon.  Part of the fun of Karen Grunberg's Finding Your Way class was learning about my scrapbooking style and the products I really love.  I absolutely love grids for my background paper and have started buying it in mass - which just means 5 or 6 pieces at a time.  I also went through my scrap container to see if anything would work with the papers.  The October Afternoon paper is from my stash.  Points for me for using my stash on a layout.


3.  I cut the papers and get started on putting everything together.  I'm definitely a one photo layout kind of girl.  I'm also a one-page layout kind of girl.  Give me two pages and I'm in the weeds.   I'm also an everyday moments/journal kind of scrapbooker.  If you give me events to scrap - I'm likely to pee my pants or throw up in my mouth a little bit. 


4.  Next, I start playing with the elements.  I don't glue things down until I'm sure I like the layout.  Please note: I have no idea how the red cardstock ended up on the layout - but I love it.  I'm really into using my EK Success Circles Large Edger Punch now - and I punched the red gingham paper from Simple Stories.  Then I played around with the layout.



5.  I start playing with the photo placement and embellishments.  I favor the left hand corner for landscape photo placement.  I also knew I wouldn't have any visible journaling beside the date.  The story was far too personal to have so visible.  At this point I've added die-cut embellishments from Crate Paper and stickers from October Afternoon.  The decorative brad is from Basic Grey - love myself some decorative brads.  Please note - the photo is not glued in place - it is anchored by the brad for the hidden journaling.


6.  Next - I go through my letters and try to find the right color and enough of the correct letters to make a title.  I chose a line from a song by Adele titled "Chasing Pavements" for this layout so I needed a lot of letters - not an easy task.  Thank God for colorful patterned papers.  I ended up using letters from Basic Grey and Webster's Pages.



7.  Finally, I wrote my journaling and did my final embellishing.  I added some wooden butterflies from Studio Calico, a chipboard dress and flower/asterisk from an American Crafts Dear Lizzy line and an eight ball die cut from Crate Paper.  I also added two stickers from October Afternoon - one was for the date.  


This is the best picture I got I'm very sad to say.  Oh - and one more thing.  I added chipboard buttons to the three of the holes made in the gingham paper.  It's definitely one of my more busy layouts but I love the finished product - so much.

So there you go - wordier than I thought it would be - but one example of my page process.  Now on to the CHA Goodness.  First up is Maya Road.


They are definitely pulling out all the stops with some good basic all-around scrapbooking embellishments.  I love the buttons.  I believe with the right buttons I could change the world - love them so much.  I also like the calendars as a fun way to add a date to a layout or birthday card.  I'm in love with rulers - no idea where this sudden love comes from and the film strip coaster album is so great it almost makes me cry.  Thank you Maya Road.  My right brain thanks you - my wallet curses you.









I have always loved Prima flowers.  My favorite were their Painterly Petals which I haven't seen around in a while.  I'm loving there new product line - Alla Prima.  Loving the colors.  Teal and yellow together is almost too much for me right now.  Loving almost everything about it.  Is anyone else around here tired of the love fest?  Did anyone else notice the letters?




Last but not least I bring you Studio Calico - which really hits it out of the ball park for me.  I can't believe I'm being reduced to baseball metaphors when baseball has got be one of the most boring things in the world to watch and play in my humble opinion - clearly millions of people disagree.  However - I digress.  First - let's start with their masks and mini albums.  So wonderful...



Now on to their newest line - Memoir.  If you're a fan of SC, please let Archivers know they need to start stocking their products!  I was told this at CKC in April from one of the lovely employees of the company.









Last but not least is SC's Classic Line.  If you love kraft paper and classic patterns - you're gone love this.  Here are a few of my favorites...









Loving so much about these manufacturers' products today and all the lovely goodness they are bringing to my crafting world.  For those of you who wonder - I don't get a chance to buy half of this stuff - but a girl can dream.  So - that's it for Thursday.  The cold is getting better - however, my throat looks like it should be designated as a crime zone of some sort.  Heading off to get antibiotics from my favorite pharmacist in the whole wide world.  Then I'm moving on to book #9 in my reading pledge.  Double arm pump for me!  I hope everyone has a lovely day.  Until then...

BTW: I do my absolute best to link back to each page where I find pictures, information, etc.  If there are any mistakes, please let me know so I can make immediate changes.  I'm so thankful for all the information on the Internet and don't want to steal anyone's lovely work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info