Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Foodie Fiction Love


I prescribe to the 8-year old theory postulated by Ms. Alison Lee of Craftcast fame. I don't actually know if this theory is her brainchild or not - but it's excellent. My own interpretation of this theory is that if you want to connect with what you truly love - think back to when you were in second or third grade and you'll find some really great clues.  This idea has worked great for me when it comes to connecting with what I REALLY love.  When I look back on those times, I base my age on where my family lived. We hoped around our town a few times when I was in elementary school - so second and third grade are pretty clear.

Between first and second grade, I visited the classroom of my sister's godmother and found those old school SRA cards and was immediately sucked in. I wanted to read all of them. When I entered the second grade, I remember begging my favorite teacher of all time to let me read those cards - not realizing at the time that they weren't specifically geared for me. She finally gave in...but I had sort of moved on. I think this is around the time I was reading the Ramona books. I loved this year - this class. Coincidentally, it's also the year I remember feeling inferior at coloring and art. I envied the artistic abilities of some of my classmates. And being a little perfectionistic - I wrote myself off as ever being any kind of artist...a longer story for another day

In third grade, my class studied China and I loved everything about this year long project. We did tons of reading, researching, coloring, etc. My teacher made the whole subject come to life. I loved it. I remember the school library and loving the books there. And then there was the bookmobile. Over the summer, my sister, cousin and I would bike down to the local park and borrow books from the traveling library known as the bookmobile. That place was heaven...basically a food truck for bibliophiles. And I definitely was a bibliophile.  BTW: I've put a picture of a supercool bookmobile at the top of this post.  This was NOT my bookmobile.  I wish - it's quite cool. 

Twenty eight years later and I'm still in love with books. I could go into it more - but this post is already getting quite long and after three long paragraphs, it might just be time to get to the point. As time goes on, our passions and interests evolve. It's a natural progression of things. I find that my reading is often filled with what I'm loving in my real life - cupcakes, scrapbooking, books, art, etc. So it comes as no surprise that my newest love is foodie fiction.

I'm currently reading this...


I'm absolutely loving this book. Prior to this book, I read The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister. Loved it. Previous to that, I read From the Kitchen of Half Truth by Maria Goodin. Loved it too.  I can't wait to read The Lost Art of Mixing, Erica Bauermeister's follow-up to her previous novel (listed above). I've definitely fell down the rabbit hole and want to read and see more of this hybrid genre.  I've found a number of resources on Foodie Fiction and other possible reads. So excited.  I also have a lot of books on my Kindle and Nook apps ripe for the taking or reading as it may be.

It's a funny thing really. I wouldn't consider myself a foodie - although I do love food. I spend most of my money on books and craft supplies so there isn't much left over for extravagant meals. I call myself a cupcake connoisseur, but that will all be changing very soon. It has come as a little bit of a surprise that I love this sub-genre of fiction as much as I do. There's just something about these books that make me happy. Maybe because food is such a sensual experience? I just know that it's my new obsession. I plan on keeping everyone posted on my reading exploits in the fictional foodie world as time passes. Can't wait to read more.

Today I have plans to get a few errands done, eat at least two meals, drink lots of water, and stay dry.  We've got a path of strong storms traveling towards my area.  Praying that everyone stays safe.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some crafting and reading.  I have some cards to make for gifts to a very helpful friend.   I bought those stamps from Monday's post yesterday.   I'm a hot mess.  I have the impulse control of a gnat.  Anyhoo...I hope everyone is having a great day. Congrats on making it this far down - rather wordy I was today. :) Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info