Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Challenge Love: Sketch #10

My next challenge comes from the creative mind of Shimelle Laine - now that I think about it, so did my previous challenge.  I love her sketches and starting points and am constantly amazed at her fearlessness when it comes to mixing patterns.  I'm in awe.  When I'm lucky enough to have my crafty mojo and a sketch available to me - I try not to spend a lot of time looking at the layouts that go with that specific sketch.  At least that's what I'm doing now - which helps with the (wait for it, friend) intrusive thoughts that tell me how much I suck at this whole scrapbook thing. BTW: there's an inside joke in that sentence for someone special.  So let's stop all of my effing gabbing and move on to the sketch shall we...

Source Image

I have not been part of the triangles band wagon.  I find this trend a little exhausting.  Who the hell has time to cut all those triangles perfectly?  Not me.  So I went the simple route.  I got out my square punch and cut those puppies in half.  Did I say puppies?  I meant squares.  They're not perfect triangles, but they work in a pinch.  So without further ado - my interpretation (which is pretty close to the original sketch I might add)...

Supplies: Patterned Paper: American Crafts, Basic Grey, My Mind's Eye, Echo Park Paper; Stickers: American Crafts, Simple Stories, Tag: American Crafts; Stamp: Hero Arts: Ink: Prima; Pencils: Derwent Inktense

One super cute little boy + one finished layout = one happy, proud auntie.  I love this boy.  Before you say anything...yes I know the top row of triangles is crooked.  Yes it bothers me a little or a lot depending on the moment - but I'm taking a deep breath and saying eff it.  Why?  Because that was my second effing attempt at making a straight line and at some point you have to just laugh at your limitations.  He's cute.  The story's told.  I had fun.  That's all that matters.  Right?  Right!  Here are a few detail shots...which is just an excuse to show you the boy a little more.


You can see here that the triangles are not that "perfect" angle - but they work and that's all that matters.  The sentiment from Dear Lizzy's Lucky Charm line seemed to work perfectly with this page.  I was so happy.


If you look really closely at this picture, you can see little tiny splatters.  The color is very subtle.  I made these with my Derwent Inktense pencils.  I used the brush to pencil technique and then started splattering with both the brush and pencil.  I'll working on perfecting this more in the future.


One quick note...I'm taking Shimelle's advice in another small way.  I'm trying to add this piece of paper from Amy Tangerine's Ready, Set, Go line from American Crafts on each layout of the boy.  I'm running out of my one sheet pretty quickly.  I'm also trying to put an elephant in some form - his mother's favorite image.  I think it will unite the layouts for his first year.  It's a small thing - but I really love it.  I didn't start doing this until the third or fourth layout - but I'm happy that I finally did.  It brings unity to the visual part of the story.

So that's it for today.  I hope everyone has a lovely Wednesday.  Until then...


1 comment:

  1. Love the way you have used two photos with this sketch! Might have to have a go doing that the next time I use it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info