Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

First and Foremost...I'm a Reader

It seems strange to write or even think this...but I can't remember a time I could not read.  I cannot remember a time when I didn't love reading to my very core.  I can remember times when I've had slumps and believed without a shred of doubt I will never find another good book to read again.  Fortunately, the heavens open and my higher being takes pity on my book slump and sends me something precious.  It doesn't happen often...but it's happened twice in the last month and I just have to share.  So without further ado...two books that will be a definite fixture on my top 10 book list.


This book has a very interesting point of view.  The author uses the first person objective point of view in a completely fresh way - there is no use of the word "I" - it is only "we."  "We" as in the three sisters making one whole person.  Having sisters myself - I understand the notion that three parts can make one whole even when each part is it's own individual being.  The three protagonists in this book are self-proclaimed failures.  They all return home due to their mother's illness in varying states of disrepair.  I will not give away a single other plot point except to say this book is utterly divine.  The point of view is somewhat awkward at first - due to it's infrequent usage in MY book world - but it's well worth every sentence and moment spent.  It made me appreciate my siblings in a way I haven't for a very long time.  Now on to the next lovely...


This is John Green's second book on my top ten list and I think it's better than the first, Looking for Alaska.  There are some naysayers out there that believe the plot is formulaic and predictable and I am DEFINITELY not one of them.  I love this book.  It is hysterical.  It is also sad in a way my own simple words cannot express.  I will not allow any spoilers to escape my lips or fingers - just buy it.  If you don't like it...then read it again because something is SERIOUSLY WRONG.  Just kidding (sort of)!  

So there you have it.  Two amazing books keeping my 52 book pledge going along well - although I believe I'm two books behind.  I love how Goodreads feels the need to inform me of that each time I go into update my profile.  I often want to yell "suck it" at the screen.  I'll get there - don't rush me.  For those of you wondering about my top ten - it'll be on a future reading post.  I hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday with their nose in a very good book.  Happy Reading!  Until then...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info