March is a big month around these parts. There are three rockin' birthdays - me, my sis, and Tonks (our beastly mascot). It marks the month of state tests, the beautiful beginnings of the 4th quarter at school, and the hope of spring. I'm going to be honest - March 2011 blew...hard. I know this March will be so much better. So this March - I'm so happy to start a new monthly feature (10 things on the 10th). So without further ado...
2. Pan-Pastels - I went out and bought 13 colors and a variety of sponges last week to start using on my art journal. If only having the products in your stash made you an art journaler, I'd be teaching classes in Italy by now. Must have confidence and compassion towards my art journal beginnings.
3. Perfection is for the birds...I have this absolute, terrifying need to do things perfectly in a few areas of my life. I want to be the best scrapbooker. I want to be an informed, compassionate employee. I want to be a wonderful daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, etc. I want to be able to paint like Flora Bowley and art journal like Dina Wakely. I'm not that way with my home, style, or body - but I will beat myself up over the other things. I want to let go - to embrace imperfection. I've read the works of Brene' Brown. I've watched the presentations and listened to the podcasts. I wish I could get it to stick. I wish I could drink the Kool-aide. I need to learn to be compassionate with MYSELF. It's the only thing that matters.
4. Feature blogging has seriously been on my mind lately. I'm heavily considering starting some feature weeks on the blog. If you're wondering what that means - I'm actually still trying to get it worked out for myself. You'll know more as things take shape around here. I know I'm not an authority on art or crafts - but I can share my own experience as it relates to some interesting topics. I'm hoping I enjoy this new direction.
5. I've read two fantastic books this month. I cannot adequately articulate the feeling of contentment and intense joy I get from a wonderful book run. One great book is a joy - but two, three, four in a row is a blessing. These two books are going in my top 10 - possibly even five. I need to clear my head a little and rank my favorites. Please click on images to go to original source.
6. Maple Bacon cupcakes. I have two in my freezer as we speak. They are from my local cupcake bakery and are utterly divine. I've been interested in the idea of a bacon cupcake for quite some time and was not disappointed. My local bakery has specials each month so these babies were no longer offered after the 5th of March thus the necessity of the freezer. So happy to have two more whenever I want...
7. Freezing cupcakes. The girls of Georgetown Cupcake gave me an invaluable lesson in their book, The Cupcake Diaries. Do not put your cupcakes in the refrigerator - it sucks out the moisture thereby creating a dry cupcake. Dry cupcakes are not acceptable in this house. Freezing the cupcakes allows for the moisture to be reincorporated in the defrosting process. I've already tried it on two cupcakes and I'm afraid to say one was more moist than the day I usually buy it from the bakery. Three cheers for the girls of Georgetown Cupcake.
8. The Follow Your Heart Line by Rhonna Farrer for My Mind's Eye is rocking my world. I can't get enough of it. It is single-handedly responsible for kickstarting my scrapbooking yet again. So happy with this line.
9. I started yet another class - Finding Your Inspiration Station by Amy Kingsford. So far...I'm pretty much loving it. I will jump on any opportunity to find and use inspiration in a way that strengthens my own personal style. So excited. My first online class was on March 6th. Lots of really great content in the first week.
10. Writing my first ten things post and loving it. This was definitely a spontaneous post. No forward planning around here. Next month will be a little different. However, there's something to be said for blogging the 10 things that matter to you at 9:00 AM on the 10th of the month.
So there you have it - 10 things on the tenth at almost 10:00 AM in the morning. I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday. I will be spending mine getting some good coffee, clean laundry, reading, planning, writing, responsibly pinning, and with a little luck...crafting. Until then...
BTW: Double arm pump for Shimelle Laine - my inspiration for 10 things on the tenth.