Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Are you SMASHING?

I went crazy when I first heard about these little ditties.  I just had to have one.  When the release date kept on getting pushed back - I thought I was going to lose my mind and then they just showed up one day in my local chain store.  And you know what - I just had to have it.  This one to be exact.

Doodle SMASH Folio: Source Image
I had a really hard time choosing the right smash book for me.  I'm not a huge fan of vintage images.  Don't get me wrong - I think the images are beautiful and work for a wide array of buyers - just not me.  So I went with the doodle version - despite being attracted to the patterns of some of the folios with vintage images.   In the end I was so stoked about the whole thing I got a few more things for good measure.

Like this SMASH Tape: Source Image 
Smash Bands: Source Image

Date SMASH Stamp: Source Image

I got some pockets as well to have a place for all my fantastic memorabilia.  And I have done absolutely nothing with it since.  Okay not nothing - I think I might have glued in a movie ticket and wrote a few things - but not much.  So I'm a little down this weekend (which could be the understatement of the last few months) and I see something wonderful and my first thought is... why the eff can't I smash like this?  Or - why aren't I inventive or brave enough to attempt to use my SMASH book as a friggin' art journal like this?  OR why can't I even remember to go to the SMASH blog for inspiration? There they are - those old negative tapes playing again and I'm suddenly in a free fall about my worth as a crafter.  I'm wondering if I'll ever make the transition to mixed media artist.  How is it even possible when I won't give up my need for perfection? It seems to me - that to be SMASHING, you must let go of the need for perfection - of having everything it's in it's perfect linear place.  And that's just not me - I can't seem to let go.  Or maybe - it's because I'm not building the kind of life I dream of and - frankly - effing deserve!  It's like the old stuff just keeps catching back up with me.  I know that this thing ebbs and flows - but I wish there was an easier way to learn to stop holding the reins so tight - to be a little less of this obsessive, "sad girl" version of me.

So I leave you with this - be SMASHING?  Let go of all your preconceived notions of what a crafter is supposed to be - of who you're supposed to be.  In the end the only thing that will matter is that you were true to that little voice inside you encouraging you to create, try something new, to be something different.  Be brave!  At least be braver than I am.  And if you get a chance - throw a little bravery/courage to this girl over here because I need it desperately.  Just get SMASHed! Have a great Sunday everyone.  For those of you wondering what I'm talking about - watch the video - the simplicity and beauty of all things SMASHing will wash over you and give you some crafting hope.  Okay - I might be overdoing it - but the video is pretty great.  It made this girl want her very own SMASH book pretty bad - now if I could only move on my creating my SMASHing life!  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info