Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Product Love - Better Late Than Never


There are a lot of great products on the market right now - Derwent Inktense Pencils are definitely high on the list.  I have a really hard time saying no to a lot of things - but these beauties were particularly difficult. I made it a few months - I'm proud to say AND I found them at a really great price point (about $1.05 per pencil with free shipping). So far, I've only got the opportunity to play around with a few images. I thought I'd share a few of my experiments here. Please note: I am definitely a beginner when it comes to using these pencils. There are some great videos on YouTube out there on these products. I would highly recommend looking a little deeper. So without further ado...



This first image is Lulu Loves Poppies from Stamping Bella.  This picture is actually my second go at this sweet girl.  I used what I'm calling the "brush to tip" method to color her.  The basic steps included dipping the brush in water; using the brush to get pigment from the tip of the pencil; and layering color in one direction.  I really liked the softness of these flowers.  I was unimpressed by the dress.


This is my first go at the image.  This is the "pencil, paper, water" technique - again named by yours truly.  The basic steps are to color the image with pencil and then use water to blend.  The colors were much more bright in this example and the blending was a little more seamless.  However, I really missed the lighter color and nuances in the first image.  I didn't realize that until I tried the "brush to tip" method.



The last two images are from Tim Holtz.  I love, love, love these blueprint, birthday images.  I used the "brush to tip" method on both of these images.  I used Canson Mixed Media Paper from an art store and had to give it a little time before adding layers of color.  This gave me a really bright effect in the end and I'm pretty happy with both as a first attempt.

I'm still in the process of learning how to use these wonderful little pencils - but I'm ecstatic to have them as part of my stash.  I will definitely have more images here in the future and will keep everyone posted on my progress.  I hope everyone is having a great Monday.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info