Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

My Pinterest General Rules of Thumb

1.  Always go to the original post before pinning.  Do your best to NEVER link to the general blog.  It then becomes a nightmare for the next pinner to find the actual post.  If the title or date does not take you to the original post, scroll to the bottom and click on permalink.  If permalink is not an option, I've adopted the policy that the site is not Pinterest friendly.

2.  Avoiding pinning from sites with All Rights Reserved Copyrights unless they have a "Pin It" or "Share This" button.

3.  When pinning - try to always give credit to the artist.  I have seen some complaints from bloggers, artists, etc. citing pinners falsely claiming other's work as their own.  Be sure to give credit where it's due. If you can't find the person to credit - don't pin.

4.  If pinning is not an option, I have not found any information disclaiming the use of the "like" option.  I have resorted to this when I really love something but can't find the original source.

5.  Remember...Pinterest has given site owners a code to prohibit pinning from their site.  However, if all else fails and you have the time and motivation, email the original source.

I have yet to decide on one major issue - if a person has a Pinterest account or a "Follow Me on Pinterest" button on their blog/site  but no option to share - is it okay to pin from their site?  I'm still working this out in my head but will let you know as soon as I do.

So that's it for now.  Pinterest week is officially over.  At this point I'm calling it Pain in the Ass Pinterest Week.  I hope it's been helpful to those of you wondering about the concerns/controversy. Please remember there is no judgement or shame towards anyone believing the whole controversy is hooey.  I really love Pinterest and am yet unwilling to give it up.  I came up with these rules for myself.  Do what feels right for you.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info