Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Daily Practice of Being Creative - Part One

I'm really into daily practices right now.  At the present time - I have exactly zero daily practices (which is a little hysterical).  Despite my lack of anything approaching a daily practice (taking my daily meds is a struggle), I'm ready to start something - to break up the monotony of this present day life.  It's not easy to identify a daily practice when your days consist of surviving your daily struggles and stresses.  I do know one thing for sure - I want my daily practice to be about creativity and being present.  So with my 34th birthday looming in just a few days - I'm ready to start taking the steps to living a more creative life.  The most important part of this shift for me is looking at creativity in a broader way.  I use to think living a creative life was about making things (preferably high art).  Now I know art has a variety of forms including craft - a place I know well.  Anyhoo - in honor of my starting a daily practice in my 35th year of life - I'm bringing to you some of the creative books that have shaped my life and ideas of creativity.

My first book on creativity.  I love it so much.  It's definitely got an artistic perspective - but totally usable for those of us who identify ourselves as crafters.  Love Rice Freeman Zachary.  To hear more of her creative goodness check out her podcast "Notes from the Voodoo Lounge."

Twyla Tharp is highly respected in the modern dance community.  Don't let this scare you off from this book.  Her thoughts on creativity can be applied to any creative practice.

I just can't say enough about Kelly Rae Roberts.  She is a true inspiration.  We have similar job backgrounds and I would love to push my limits and dive into art with the gusto and fearlessness characteristic of her creative life.

This is a pretty big book and I'm half way through.  I'm not sitting down and reading it cover to cover.  I pick it up when I need some inspiration and want ideas for shifting my perspective to more creative pursuits.

Jo Packham is a genius at showing craft spaces while paying credence to women's creative lives.  She's also the creator of Where Women Create and Where Women Cook.  Need I say more?

I am currently reading this cover to cover and am totally in love.  I love Patti Digh.  Her writing style is amazing and speaks to a part of me I don't usually make time for.  I know some of her tasks will become part of a ever changing daily practice for me.  I already have a great idea!  I'm thinking about coloring/doodling/stamping a 1" square for my 35th year.  Still percolating on whether this is the project I want to start.

So there you have it.  My favorite books on creativity.  I'll have more books to share later this week.  I'll continue to keep you posted on my daily practice.  I hope everyone has a nice Monday.  I woke up with GERD throat at 2:00 in the morning - hence the early post time.  Hoping the day starts to look up.  Until then...

P.S. If anyone knows when to use who or whom, I could really use a lesson. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info