Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reading Pledge 2012 Update

I know it must seem like the bulk of the time I spend on this blog is book related - at least recently.  I would give excuses but it's part of my personal project to get back to the things I love most.  I'm right on time with my pledge at this point and am in the process of reading two books.  I've made it a habit this year to have at least one fiction book and one non-fiction and/or creative book in progress at any given time.  It's been working out pretty well and I'm loving it. It's nice to be reading more again.  So what's going on now...

Like many avid readers, I have jumped on the Fifty Shades trilogy band wagon.  I'm about two-thirds of the way through the final book and I'm really feeling the need to disembark or throw up in my mouth a little bit.  Really, I'm pretty fed up with the mind-blowing sex with the tragically naive, beautiful (and she doesn't even know it) girl.  I'll finish the trilogy.  I've put in the time but it's really pissing me off right now.  I think I'm going on my third week of not reading this book - wasted time indeed. 
If I had the physical book I would have tossed it across the room on several occasions.  Unfortunately this is not possible with the ereader.  One strike in its favor I tell you.  Who knew almost 1000 pages of reading about the hot, damaged guy in love with the innocent, vulnerable girl could make me start looking for sharp objects?


Source Image
Moving on...I started reading Imagine by Jonah Lehrer in preparation for the upcoming podcast on Paperclipping Roundtable.  I've had the book for a while and am LOVING it.  It has a similar tone to the lovely works of Mr. Malcolm Gladwell.  His books are little bursts of knowledge and I just soak it up like a sponge.  Loving the opportunity to read about creativity and imagination.  Loving the opportunity to become acquainted with another amazing non-fiction writer.  I also am enjoying my time away from the red room of pain.  Reading Fifty Shades is turning into my red room of pain.  I exaggerate...slightly.


Source Image
So that's it for today.  If you're interested in joining in on the book club read for the podcast, hop on over to the Paperclipping blog.  The podcast panelists are all reading the book and will include the regulars (Noell, Nancy, and Izzy), Ali Edwards and Stacy Julian.  I cannot wait.  They will be taping the episode next week.  Yay!  


Today: I plan on writing my summer manifesto inspired by Ms. Ali Edwards.  I'm only running a few weeks late.  I also plan on coloring more than ONE image today.  I have exactly 16 days to finish 55 cards - which roughly evens out to three to four cards per day.  I also plan on treating myself to a big cup of coffee, blueberry muffin, and possibly finishing at least one book.  Hope everyone's having a lovely Tuesday.  Until then...


P.S. For those of you that LOVE the trilogy - you know who you are - I'd like to apologize for my remarks.  I hope this doesn't take away from your own reading experience.  Please don't let my views deter you from reading the books either,  remember you're dealing with a girl who pinned this and is wondering if she can make a sign for when she leaves the house.  Nutcake, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Site Info